Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reflection ! ! !

" When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says,yes, this is how I ought to feel." - Harold Kushner


I was driving my way back home after a normal day at office when somebody on the road stopped me for a lift. The traffic made me reluctant to stop, but something in me told me to stop and I did after a few meters. I turned back to find a handicapped man standing with his crutches. I offered him the lift as he wanted to be dropped on my way back home .we did travel a few kilometers and there came the place where he was to get down, I asked him if his house was close by, he did respond rather politely with an abundance of stoicism, that his house was half a kilometer away and it wasn't in my route. But I decided to drop him in front of his house. And when we reached there he invited me into his house with a thanks that was accompanying with every sentence he uttered .He also did tell me not many people offer him a lift and among those who offered a very few drop him at his house. My natural instinct would have been to advertise this act of mine and gain popularity for my kindness. But for a change I did take this chance to think. The outcome was quite enlightening, what I did to the crippled man was a small help from my end but it did mean a lot to him.

That's the whole point of this blog " May b it's a very small help, but if u can do it,Do it ".

On one instance I called up my friend to tell him about something that was bugging my mind, and I did tell him all that was in my mind and he patiently listened to it and offered few words of advice. After the call I felt a lot better and with some new found energy. Instantly I called him up again and thanked him for his help, and he told me " it's just a small help ". May b it's a small help listening, but to the troubled mind it's a precious help. Calling up a friend once in a while not only rejuvenates your spirit but to see someone getting benefited by your help gives you a good feeling which only a great success can match. On the same lines whenever u get a chance do some good to people around you ,do it , try visiting people when they're ill . You can bring smiles to the face of a child begging on the streets by offering a piece of bread (I don't vouch Begging in any sense ). These may be small ,but such acts of kindness are the ones that transform the way you live .


Many people have this instinct to help, but they label it social service and get mystified by the huge proposition of work that this term accompanies. So it's not all about helping the society, if u can do that it's great, but even if social service is a tall order to you it's just showing kindness to people around you, for these small acts of kindness have the power to transform lives.

So with this small thought I'll sign off.

5 comments:

Prashant Sree said...

Rightly Said !!
The random minor acts of kindness have indefinite power, which can transform lives.
Like they say,
"Tiny drops of water make an ocean"

VV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sriram K said...

@ Varalu
Thns for the link man , was an amazing effort that you guys hav started , wish u all success

Anonymous said...

gr8...
For God sake, Pl, keep writing blogs and Keep enlightening people ;-)....

Sudhaa said...

Sriram...this blog was very thought provoking...it made me want to do this small favor my long lost friend from high school has been asking me for.

Keep blogging good thoughts!